9.15.2010

Waiting on Technology

As I sit here pondering what phone to buy next and if it will best my current Nexus One, I think is it really worth upgrading. I have this conversation with people all the time and now most people know me as the Cellphone Guy. The first thing I'm always asked is what is the best phone? My simple answer is whatever works best for you. Granted not everyone needs an iPhone but they would like to have all the goodies. I've been scorned by Apple too many times to like them at the moment. Once upon a time I was Mactarded to all my PC loving friends and now it's all flipped. I think it's pretty funny.

Getting back to phones I usually have to point out to people the advantages to specific carriers and disadvantages. I explain that while it's nice to have a phone that does everything, if it can't make call what good is it really? Don't forget that while the iPhone is nice piece of hardware I very rarely meet anyone who like AT&T's service.

Personally I'd rather have the choice of when I can switch phones and not be limited by a contract. Which is the next part of the conversation. In the US we basically end up paying more than any other country. Why? Simply put while other countries have buyers shell out several bills to get a new phone the US carriers lock you into a contract by giving out 'free' phones. I say 'free' because buy doing the two year agreement we all do you end up paying more in the long run. For instance I pay about $100 for unlimited everything (voice, data, text, etc.) I've seen plans offered in Europe that are about $20 bucks less and no contract. However you end up paying the full $300+ for the phone. Right now I'm month to month on my carrier and I own a Nexus One purchased from Google. This phone kicks the crap out of all of my other 'smartphones' that I have bought over the last few years. With the G2 looming around the corner I'm seriously debating it over the MyTouchHD or...

I might head over to big read when they go LTE. GSM is the best thing for me cause I just pop the sim out and grab a different phone. But Technology keeps getting better and better. In a year or so all the ARM chips will be dual and quad cores. Effictivley doubling the power under the hood of these phones. I'm also looking into a tablet with a SIM card slot. I barely use my phone like a phone but having an all in one device fits my life style.

In the end all I can really say is that it's all a waste of money and it's truly about whether you want to be a consumer or not. I've been screwed many times and money is tight because of the economy but my love of the tech keeps me saving for that next phone.

I still help people with there phones but to be honest everyone has made up their mind I just help them figure that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?